Biotin, also known as vitamin H or vitamin B7 is a water-soluble vitamin that plays a variety of important roles in health.
It is found in a variety of foods, including our Vegan A-Z Sugar-Free Multivitamin.
It assists enzymes in breaking down carbohydrates, proteins and fats in the food we eat. Without this process, the food we eat would not be converted into energy; it also helps our hair grow and gives us a healthy glow!
Additionally, it helps to regulate signals sent between cells in our body, so it is a vital vitamin and one we can obtain through a varied, balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
Sidenote: Biotin can be produced naturally in your bowel and it’s only needed in very small amounts by your body to support normal function.
We also need biotin for:
- Processing nutrients from our food
- Energy release
- Healthy hair, skin and mucous membranes
- Normal nervous system and mental health
- It helps regulate signals sent between the cells in our body
How much biotin should adults be getting daily?
It’s recommended that adults should be getting between 30 and 100 micrograms (mcg) per day.
Because it’s water-soluble, extra biotin will pass through your body when you urinate. Biotin supplements can, in some cases, cause side effects like nausea and digestive issues, but there are no known toxicity symptoms associated with too much biotin.
How much biotin do younger children need?
- 6 months to 1 year – 6mcg a day
- 1-3 years – 20mcg
- 4-10 years – 25mcg
What are some sources of biotin?
- Vegan A-Z Sugar-Free Multivitamin
- Egg yolk
- Organ meats (liver, kidney)
- Nuts, like almonds, peanuts, pecans, and walnuts
- Nut and seeds
- Soybeans and other legumes
- Whole grains and cereals